Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Blessing of Summer...


The Blessing of Summer…

God has blessed me so incredibly this summer!!!  As I begin the journey back to Texas tomorrow, I am reminded of my many blessings.  I think I have crossed the Tennessee/Alabama more than 20 times this summer, but the driving was worth it.  I have been looking forward to this summer ever since I started seminary because I knew I would have the opportunity to work with the youth in the Diocese of Alabama.  I was not disappointed and feel so blessed to have been a part of Sawyerville and Camp McDowell this summer!

The first three weeks of June I had the opportunity to be an intern at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Murfreesboro, TN.  For those of you that do not know, my father is the rector of this parish.  I always felt that I was an experiential and visual learner and this opportunity certainly proved that suspicion!  It was amazing to be a part of the daily activities of a Church- worship planning, preaching, attending meetings, communications, setting the table, writing, pastoral care- the list goes on.  An added bonus was spending time with and learning from a great teacher, my Dad! 

The last week in June I served as the chaplain for Lower Camp at Sawyerville Day Camp, Session 1.  I was just smiling the whole week.  Sawyerville is truly one of the best ministries I have ever been a part of.  I am “hooked” and I hope to be a part of Sawyerville for a long, long time.  Watching the youth of the Diocese of Alabama care for the children of Hale County (one of the poorest in the country) and literally be the hands and feet of Jesus is something I will never forget.  I feel honored to have just had the opportunity to watch it happen.  Although I don’t know why I am surprised because that is just the way our amazing God works.

I then spent four whole weeks on the beautiful Monteagle/Sewanee Mountain.  I am a child of that mountain and have spent every summer of my life there.  I sat on the porch, read dozens of books, had wonderful discussions and laughs with my 89-year-old grandmother and just basked in the beauty of the mountain.  What a gift from God it was and I treasured every minute of it.

Lastly, I was privileged to serve as a chaplain at Wonderful, Wonderful Camp McDowell!  It was a heavenly week in God’s beautiful creation and I was in awe of the opportunity.

I can not believe that in one week I will begin my senior year of seminary.  I am looking forward to once again being in the classroom, seeing my classmates, and spending time and learning at my field parish, St. Richard’s. 

This summer has been a blessing in every way.  I am so thankful for spending time with friends and family, meeting new friends, and enjoying my amazing parents.  But, it is time to go and continue to be on this journey God is leading me through. 

Blessings as the ride continues…

No comments:

Post a Comment