Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Back in to the swing of things...

Back in to the swing of things…

It seems we are back in to the swing of things here at the Seminary of the Southwest. I have just completed my second full week of classes. I am back to my routine of nightly reading and I have my first paper due soon. Scholarship deadlines are approaching, there is lots of paperwork needed for working in a VA Hospital this summer and I am working 8 hours at week for the Development Office at SSW!

Although I like a routine and schedules, I am also trying to create something new each day. Sometimes Owen and I take a different path for our walks, often I stop by the bookstore and chat with my friends Donna, Vivian and Laura. I had lunch with my buddy Kellaura and a new friend Maggie this week. I know I am a calendar person, but sometimes when you get caught up in calendars and routines you miss the very thing that God is putting in front of you. I am working on it God, show me what you want me to see!

I also had the privilege this week to hear two different and powerful sermons. In the second semester of your middler year, you begin preaching in Chapel. It was a normal Wednesday and I was fulfilling my schedule of being a greeter in Chapel. I wasn’t aware of who the preacher would be that day and I was pleasantly surprised by the sermon. Clay’s spoke to us about not getting caught up in the details, specifically about our worship in Christ Chapel. God will always get worshipped. Even if someone spills the wine, reads the wrong texts or sings out of tune. It was a wonderful reminder to enjoy worship and feel God’s love, but more importantly to enjoy each day and all that He has given us.

This week the SSW Board of Trustees was on campus for a board meeting and the annual lecture in Bishop Claude Payne’s honor (Bishop Payne was the Bishop of Texas from 1995-2003). I had the honor of meeting Bishop and Mrs. Payne. They are fabulous, giving people! Even though they are now retired, they still bring the messages of leadership and evangelism to our Church. They are also chairing SSW Capital Campaign to raise 15.9 million dollars - we are already half way there ☺

The speaker for the Payne lecture was the Rt. Rev. Jay Magness. Bishop Magness is the Bishop Suffragan for the Armed Services and Federal Ministries. His lecture was entitled "Moral Leadership in the Temple and Public Square: Missional Requirements for a New Era." This is a quote from Bishop Magness’ lecture: “As unconventional as it may appear to be, I am looking for persons who are capable of uniting the passion of Billy Graham, the theological grounding of H. Richard Niebuhr and the Anglican approach of Richard Hooker. A tall order? I suppose, but the times are changing, and the challenges are significant. I am finding that Jesus’ Biblical image of a seemingly stern requirement to be a follower is very appropriate for our circumstances: “’No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.’” (Luke 9.62, NRSV).

As you might imagine, I really enjoyed what Bishop Magness had to say about his vision for leadership and what kind of leader the Episcopal Church needs. I am not sure I can be exactly the person he is looking for, but it is sure would worth trying!

I will be leaving on Thursday to attend the Diocese of Alabama Convention and preaching at St. Mary’s-on-the-Highlands. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to be back in the great state of Alabama for a few days. I will be sure to report on those adventures as I get out of the swing of things for a few days!

Blessings to you all as the ride continues…Mary Balfour

No comments:

Post a Comment