Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Get on with the Show....

Get on with the Show…

As I sit here on this 78 degree Friday afternoon working on a sermon, the Van Morrison song, “Get on with the Show” is playing on my IPod. The door to my balcony is open and Owen is barking loudly at a UPS truck as it passes by. I am thinking about this song and how I felt this time last year. I was touring seminaries and was so ready to “get on with the show.” I was ready to start my new life as a Child of God who would have the opportunity to serve God everyday as a priest.

Here we are, a year later, and I realize that I was already a Child of God and a priest. Seminary has helped me clarify so many things. I have told many of you that one of my goals for seminary is to connect my head and my heart. I have always had a heart for serving God. I am now learning how to articulate the thoughts in my head. I am learning how to express why it is I believe what I believe. This is a slow process and I have a lot more to learn, but I can literally “feel” the process working.
I completed my first week of classes for the spring semester today. I am taking Introduction to Missiology, Church History I, Liturgical Music II, Theology I, History and Hermeneutics II and Living into Mission: Meeting the Leadership Challenges of Today’s Church. Living into Mission will be streamed on the SSW website. I will send you all the link so you can be a part of our classroom experience!

I really think I will enjoy this semester. I defiantly feel less anxious about my studies. I think that is because I have some idea of what to expect. In addition, I have confidence that I can do this!

Yesterday I conquered one of my fears. The torches in Christ Chapel are extremely heavy. Although they are beautiful, they are difficult for me to lift and hold in place. I was assigned “torch bearer” for last night’s community Eucharist. I did everything I could to get out of this! But, God would have none of that. So, I put on my brave face and went for it. I made a few blunders and my arms were tired afterwards. But I got the job done. Once again, I can do this!!! Bring on the job of crucifer next! (I hope none of the sacristans are reading this).

God willing, in two and half years, I will physically get to go to a Church everyday and serve God - and get paid to do it! But I am realizing I am already doing just that. I am even getting paid for it, the pay being the joy of knowing Jesus. I can tell you now that my relationship with God is growing. My understanding of His Son is becoming clearer. So, I say let’s get on with the show! Thank you Van Morrison for reminding me ☺

Blessings to you all as the ride continues…Mary Balfour

1 comment:

  1. I hear in your sweet words your love for our Lord and your yearning to be His child and a priest and servant to others..My prayers are with you, sweet Mary Balfour. God is blessing you in all you do! Love you!

    ReplyDelete