Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Porch Girls...


Porch Girls...
For over 25 years my mother and some of her closest friends have been gathering the second weekend in June at our family’s summer cottage in Monteagle, Tennessee.  This group of women call themselves the porch girls and for three days every year, they laugh, they play, but most importantly they support each other through the good times and the difficult times. 
I often ask my Mom if I might make a guest appearance and visit.  I just want to be a part of it all.  There is nothing better than sitting on the porch, eating wonderful food, and enjoying the company of these women.  I had the opportunity to be with the Porch Girls this weekend, and oh it was good for the soul.  Not only do they care deeply for my mother, and each other, but they care for me as well.  They listened so intently as I told them of my experiences at Seminary, CPE this summer, and life in general.  One of the ladies, who I know without a shadow of a doubt prays faithfully for all aspects of my life, told me this morning that she sees a sense of contentment in me.  Contentment, wow, what a powerful word.  I think she is right, I am content.  Content with the direction God is leading my life, content with the fact that I am seminarian, content that I have been blessed with wonderful friendships and family, and finally content with the truth that God is forming me into a priest.
I love the fact that my mother has these women, sisters, and friends in her life.  What a blessing and instrument of love that these women are to each other.  Everything is sacred and safe between them.  There is no judgment, there is no fear, there is just love.  So, to the porch girls, thank you for loving me, my family, and most importantly my AMAZING mother.  Thank you for being a part of this journey and your never ceasing prayers.  May we all find the kind of friendship that you all have given to each other and just be content in that bond that binds us all together.
Blessings as the ride continues…
Mary Balfour

No comments:

Post a Comment