Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Clinical Pastoral Education...


Clinical Pastoral Education…
I haven’t had the courage to write about Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) yet, because to be completely honest it has been a daily struggle for me and I don’t think I am very good at it.  CPE is basically being a chaplain at a hospital for one summer during your seminary experience.  In my case, I am working for a VA hospital in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where my parents live.  From my understanding, the purpose of CPE is to discover issues within yourself and how to handle them in addition to working on your listening skills, becoming comfortable in a hospital, and experiencing death.
The VA hospital in Murfreesboro has many psychiatric patients in addition to a community living center, an acute care unit and a rehabilitation unit.  I want to share with you that I feel honored to spend my days with men and women who have given their time to serve our country.  With that being said, it is also extremely difficult to realize that I can’t “fix” their situations.  I am hoping that just walking in the room, listening and being present helps in some way.
In the past two days, I have had the pleasure of meeting two men that are full of joy, life and an amazing love of our God.  One was a Baptist minister for over 50 years.  Some of you will find this hard to believe, but he spent over an hour telling me his life story - I didn’t say one word!  The Holy Spirit was in the room as we talked, and I walked away feeling more than touched, almost changed.  I got so much out of my time with this incredible man.  He touched my heart.
Today, I spent time with a 91-year-old man who is at the end of his life.  He knows that he is dying and even though there is some emotion associated with the end of his life, he is not afraid and is confident he will be in heaven with his wife and Jesus.  I am more than confident that heaven is exactly where he is going.  This man has raised 9 children and 3 grandchildren and is content with his life.  Content, there is that word again. 
The last two days have been good days.  Honestly, most days are not as good.  There is grief, anger, loneliness, pain and many days, death.  I often don’t know what to say or how to comfort a patient or family.  All I know to do is pray.  So that is what I do.  Sometimes I am really afraid that someone is going to pass out, be in pain or even die in my presence.  This is flat out scary to me.  Someone I love very much reminded me the other day that being with someone as they die is one of the most intimate experiences they have ever experienced.  I need to find that courage to be intimate, not afraid, not anxious, and just present.  I am working on it.
I ask for prayers for the men and women at the VA, prayers for my classmates who are also experiencing CPE, my friends from other seminaries who are participating in CPE, and for me, that God will give me strength.  Thank you as always for your love and devotion.  
Blessings as the ride continues…  Mary Balfour

3 comments:

  1. George Carlson, LtCol, USMC(Ret)June 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM

    Mary, as a retired Marine, I will go somewhat out on a limb and say that what you have to give is the absence of aloneness. We are social beings and the scariest part of death is not that it will happen to all of us. Somehow, we know that. The scariest part is that we will die alone -- leave this earth out of touch with anyone else. That you can "fix."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, mb! I love having you as a colleague and hope we can spend some time together one of these days. Having a breakable heart is one of the greatest gifts there can be for the ministry we share.
    Love and blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. MB - I totally understand what you're going through and am so proud of your presence with these men and women. What a gift you are to them, even if you aren't actually "fixing" them. You're doing something better - offering healing. Call anytime you want to celebrate a great day or process a hard one. Love you!

    ReplyDelete