Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

“You are not called to deliver pizzas, you are called to deliver the Gospel.”

“You are not called to deliver pizzas, you are called to deliver the Gospel.”

I just returned from a weekend at San Mateo’s Episcopal Church in Houston, TX. The rector, The Rev. Alejandro Montes, is a wonderful shepherd to many. On our first day of visiting with him, he told us his story. Father Montes is from Peru. He left his home at 8 years old and lived on the streets for many years. God called him at the age of 17 to serve the Church. At one point he was delivering pizzas and met an Episcopal priest. The priest told him: “You are not called to deliver pizzas, you are called to deliver the Gospel.” That phrase has stuck with me for days. I think we can relate it to any part of our lives. What is it that we do day in and day out? Are we delivering the Gospel or are we just living our lives? It is not only priest who deliver the Gospel, anyone can. Even a pizza delivery man.

It was an honor to spend time with the people of San Manteo’s. They are warm, inviting and have a deep love for Jesus. We enjoyed participating in a youth Bible study, eating Peruvian food and most importantly, fellowship.

Today, my friend James and I participated in the Eucharist as Chalice Bearers. I was a bit nervous about worshipping with 400 people that I did not know in a language that I could not speak. The Holy Spirit was present in that Church today! We sang, we clapped, and we prayed. At one point in the service, I was brought to tears. I was grateful to be there and felt so alive worshipping with these good people. Thank you Lord for this incredible opportunity.

I have the day off tomorrow and then head back for the final few days of classes. I will go to Nashville on Thursday to attend the Diocese of Tennessee’s convention. I am thrilled to represent the Seminary of the Southwest at the convention. I am really enjoying my January term learning about Hispanic culture and faith. I hope that I can take what I learn back to the Diocese of Alabama. May we always remember to deliver the Gospel each and everyday.

Blessings to you all as the ride continues…Mary Balfour

No comments:

Post a Comment