Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Saturday, March 31, 2012

I Know This…

I am going to go completely out of my comfort zone on this post, but something in side of me is saying to write, so I will.

Yesterday, a group of students at SSW hosted a workshop called Sexuality and Ministry. The purpose of the workshop was to learn how to have a meaningful and informed conversation about sexuality and ministry. In July, the General Convention of the Episcopal Church could pass an amendment supporting same sex blessings. What does this mean? It means that a Diocese that wants to bless same sex marriages would have the authority to do so through the Episcopal Church.

I am very appreciative of my fellow seminarians that took the initiative to start this conversation. As leaders in the Church, it will be up to us to help our brothers and sisters to have fruitful conversations about this sensitive topic. We have to learn to worship together, accept each other and most importantly love one another.

One of the presenters at the workshop said this, “we are called to minister to people, not ideologies and causes.” I really think that sums up what ministry is truly about. No matter what the issue is, it is God’s people that matter. What I do know is that we have to remember that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, and that we are all God’s precious children, without regard to the color of our skin, our gender or our sexual orientation.

I also know this; it takes all of us to make up the Body of Christ. I encourage us all to be a part of this conversation and to remember that we are all God’s people. Thank you for letting me get out of my comfort zone and speak from my heart.

Blessings as the ride continues…
Mary Balfour

No comments:

Post a Comment