Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Have you prayed to Jesus...


Have you prayed to Jesus …
Today I was talking to a beloved friend about my last post, anxiety.  I have now finished two days of classes and I already feel overwhelmed.  Just when I think I am confident about my academic work, I feel pushed down.  Who is pushing me down?  Well that would be me.  I have unrealistic expectations of myself, I am too hard on myself, and I don’t take things hour by hour much less day by day.  As I was discussing my “problem” with my friend, she looked me straight in the eye and said have your prayed to Jesus about this?
I was blown away.  Of course I hadn’t prayed to Jesus about this, it is easier for me to complain about it, worry about it, and get myself in to a big old tizzy! Her words were so simple and so right on but most importantly the answer is so easy.  Pray to Jesus! 
I believe I have a sound prayer life.  I pray for people who are going through hard times, I pray for our seminary community, I often pray for the children of seminarians who are trying to figure this whole thing out (mainly because I totally get that one and it has taken me years to figure it out).  But, what I don’t do is simply ask Jesus to take my anxiety away.  Take my fear away, let me know and feel your comfort, in this moment, in this hour, in this day.  It is so easy to do, and yet I don’t often take the time.
So as I was taking a short walk tonight with my sweet Owen, I repeated the words, please take my pain away Jesus, over and over and over again.  In that moment, I felt completely peaceful. 
I know for a fact that I will get in a tizzy again, probably tomorrow.  But, maybe the question of the day is to ask ourselves, have you prayed to Jesus?
Blessings as the ride continues…  Mary Balfour

No comments:

Post a Comment