Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Joy of Learning...


The Joy of Learning…
I was having a discussion with my sweet mother about how tough academically this school year has been.  There doesn’t seem to be enough time to get everything done and enjoy being with my seminary buddies.  I am trying hard to take a walk everyday, to engage in meaningful conversations, to relish in my time at Christ Chapel, and to continue to love every second of my classes.  It is tough, but as Mom reminded me, seminary is a seven-day a week job.
Yes, I am still working on getting my footing.  Class, work study, Chapel, my field parish, studying, it is hard to get a good balance.  But in the midst of that, I am discovering more and more how much I enjoy learning.  I know this seems like a silly statement to many, but to me it is a true joy to really love learning.  I have always found academic work extremely challenging, I am reminded of this every time I walk in to my Theology and Ethics class.  But what I am discovering is that I actually adore digging into the text of the Bible.  Learning more about what the Word of God really has to say and doing my best to translate that word into a sermon that will have meaning and power around it.
Let me give you an example.  Recently in a class we were studying the story of the hemorrhaging woman in Mark’s Gospel.  I hate to admit it but I really didn’t know anything about this story and I couldn’t remember a time I had even heard a sermon on it.  At first read, I thought the story was about Jesus performing a miracle and giving life back to a woman that literally had been bleeding for twelve years.  Can you believe that, the poor woman, the social outcast she must have been, no one would marry her and she couldn’t have children?  As I studied the passage more and discussed it further with my classmates and professors, I realized that the passage, for me, is really about the faith that the bleeding woman had in Jesus.  She didn’t ask his permission to be healed, she just went for it, and sometimes that is exactly what you have to do.  Have incredible faith and just go for it!
I think there is a lesson to be learned from the hemorrhaging woman.  In the midst of trying to get it all done, it is a great reminder to have faith and just go for it.  After the hemorrhaging woman is healed, Jesus says to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace, and be healed of your disease.”  Jesus acknowledges the hemorrhaging woman’s faith and welcomes her in to the Body of Christ.  I know I will remember this story when I temporally lose my faith and need to be reminded that I am a part of the Body of Christ.
Finally, I have been overwhelmed by the amount of emails, cards, phone calls and texts I have received from my family and friends lately.  It is as if God reminded them I needed prayers and good wishes.  Thank you God for putting me on their hearts and thank you friends and family for reminding me of your love.
Blessings as the ride continues…  Mary Balfour

No comments:

Post a Comment