Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Margaret.....

For the past two days I have been on a retreat with my classmates. We had a great time sharing our stories and just getting to know each other. It is interesting to spend time with people that have the same desire in their hearts as you do, to serve God's people as a priest. I believe that this is a group of people that will support me and love me through the next three years and hopefully for many years after seminary. In fact, they have already proved how much they care.

Daddy called me on Wednesday morning. I thought something might be wrong because he knew I was at the retreat. He told me that Margaret had died. Margaret was a very special person who has ALWAYS been a part of my life. She helped raise me and my brothers and in fact she did the same for Daddy. Margaret came to work for my great grandmother when she was 13 years old. She lived outside of our house in the Mississippi Delta for the first 15 years of my life. I don't remember a time when she wasn't there. Margaret took care of many generations of Van Zandt's and loved us as if we where her own. She was a Van Zandt even if that wasn't her last name. She had a very special bond with my youngest brother Thomas. She would never admit it but he was always her favorite. The image of a black woman in her 60's and a little white boy who were the best of friends is a powerful image for me. This image seemed so natural to me and probably made no sense to my classmates. They supported me anyway. They let me cry and tell a few stories about Margaret. I have discovered over the last few days that the world will be a better when it has my classmates as priests. They know how to love, they know how to do what Jesus asked us to do.

Mama said to me today that she believes that Margaret is sitting at a table with my great grandmother and my grandmother and all those that she so graciously served for many years and finally breaking bread with them. Thank you Margaret for taking such good care of us for so many years and allowing us to be a part of your life.

Thank you Lord for the life of your good and faithful servant, Margaret Davis.

Thanks for coming along on the ride.

Mary Balfour

1 comment: