Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

A few cooler days, if 91 degrees is cooler....

A few cooler days, if 91 degrees is cooler…..

It is Fall Break here at the Seminary of the Southwest!!! We are enjoying some cooler weather (only the low 90’s versus the high 90’s) but I will take it! I will say I was very ready for the break. While I really enjoy all of my classes and am learning a lot, everyone needs a break! It will be nice to catch up on schoolwork, sleep late and hopefully get to be a part of some fun Austin adventures.

One of the priorities of the junior class is to visit different Churches in the Austin area. The faculty asks us to do this to get a sense of where we might like to do our parish fieldwork. I have been to three different Churches - and they were all COMPLETELY different. I really enjoyed them all but nothing feels like St. Mary’s to me. I guess it is part of my formation to let go of my past and to be open to my future. It is very likely that the Church I will serve will be very different from St. Mary’s, so this exposure to different types of parishes is a good thing. We have to write a report after each visit. I think this is a very good assignment and I feel sure that God will lead me to the perfect field education experience.

We did have a Blessing of the Animals liturgy here at SSW. Of course Owen received his annual blessing. Lots of people have animals, so it was fun to meet them all. We also celebrated the founder of SSW, The Rt. Rev. John Hines. John Hines was Bishop of Texas and then the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church during the Civil Rights movement. It was fun to have his family and our Board of Trustees on campus. I really enjoyed meeting them all and learning more about this very special man.

I also am working very hard on my Clinical Pastoral Education applications. Next summer I will be an intern chaplain at a hospital. I am applying in Birmingham, Chattanooga and Murfreesboro. So stay tuned on where I will be spending the summer of 2012!

The Seminary of the Southwest admission’s department just produced new, FANTASTIC videos about SSW. I encourage you to check out these videos so that you can experience first hand my wonderful school. www.ssw.edu/videos

I hope this love note finds you all well. I continue to think of you all often and you remain in my daily prayers.

Blessings to you all as the ride continues…

Mary Balfour

2 comments:

  1. I did my CPE at Erlanger in Chattanooga. It was very hard, but very, very good. I grew so much!

    Enjoy your break. It is in the low 70's here, and fall color is really cranking up. I envy you the variety and number of churches to look at for field ed. Make the most of that! peace, Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. MB, Thanks for the video shout out! Let's do coffee soon! You name time/day, and I'll work around your schedule. SO, SO glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete