Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel

Seminary of the Southwest Christ Chapel
The view I get to experience everytime I attend Christ Chapel!!!!!!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

A week of firsts......

A week of firsts…

This week has been a week of firsts. Some good, some bad, but my formation is happening. I am surrounded by people that challenge me everyday and that is a good thing! I am learning to live in community and stretch myself. This process will only help me to be the best priest I can be.

So this week’s firsts include:

- Walking the Labyrinth. If you have never walked a labyrinth, I encourage you to do so. It is a peaceful and calming experience. I felt God’s presence all around me while I was walking. There were wind chimes blowing in the wind, beautiful yellow flowers in my view and most importantly the Holy Spirit was present. You can learn more about the Labyrinth experience at: www.labyrinthsociety.org

- I attended my first Spanish Eucharist. A Spanish service occurs weekly in Christ Chapel, but for one reason or another I have not been able to attend. It was wonderful to sing all the hymns in Spanish and actually receive Jesus’ body and blood in words that were unfamiliar to me. It was a glorious celebration of the Hispanic Heritage and St. Michael’s and All Angels.

- I officiated for the first time on Thursday at Morning Prayer! I was so nervous. I have been a lecture and a chalice bearer before, but I have never been responsible for the entire service. I practiced and practiced and did my best to prepare, but I was still very nervous. When the service started God gave me peace and, of course, we worshipped Him in the exact way we were suppose to that morning. It was a wonderful experience and I am very excited to learn more about the liturgy of the Episcopal Church and how to officiate at different worship services.

I did practice my non-anxious presence this week. There were some moments that I was more successful than others ☺, but I will continue to work on it. I look forward to seeing what this week has in store for me. I also continue to miss you all so much and feel your powerful prayers. Thank you for your love!

Blessings to you all as the ride continues…

Mary Balfour

No comments:

Post a Comment